Re: X10 -> UPB?

James Russo <jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Dave,
>
>	That would be a nice device. Package up the UPB or X10 command in a UDP
>packet and send it to the ehternet device. It would make it very easy to
>allow computer control from many different devices.

That's my take, too. The cost of doing Ethernet is falling. Microchip has
announced a single chip solution that sells for under $5 in OEM quantities.

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1335&dDocName=en022889

But I'm stll hoping someone will do this via HomePlug Ethernet over
powerline so there's no need for wiring.

>160us*4 = 640uS < 330uS. Umm.. So how does that work or were those docs
>really "preliminary". Is anyone actually using UPB? Seems like a nice
>technology especially with the Upstart software for system programming.

See p7 of...

     http://www.simply-automated.com/documents/UpbDescription_V1.1.pdf

They may mean 4 x 40µS bit times - it's really ambiguous as drawn.

We haven't seen many user reports on UPB. Some people claim its been
available for many years although the PCS web site would seem to contradict
these claims. The first products reached retail distributors less than a
year ago. They first showed up in Worthington's and SmartHome's 2005
catalogs.

The initial press release from PCS said it would add $4 to the cost of a
module. The prices do not reflect that - it may be just another case of warp
mathematics. ;)