Re: X10 -> UPB?

"Kurt Delaney" <kurt_dot_delaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>"Dave Houston" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> I've also written that I expect UPB will likely prove robust (given that
>> it's two-way with ACK/NAK) and be popular with installers. I think the
>> question that is still unanswered is whether the higher cost is justified
>> and that's really up to each user to decide.
>
>Is UPB really more expensive?  In comparing switches w/ similiar
>capabilities (true rocker, scenes, etc.), I think the new UPB switches are
>running right in the middle of the pack compared to PCS SmartSwitch,
>SmartLinc, Lightolier, etc.  If you are saying that they are more expensive
>that stock X10 switches, then that is true.  But that is an apples to
>oranges comparison.
>
>Note -- I am an end user w/ NO vested interest in any particular product
>discussed here.

Which of the switches you've listed have you used?

All of the switches you listed (except UPB) use X-10's PLC protocol so all
would appear to be oranges vs. one apple.

NOTE: I use none of the above - I think they all cost too much. And I think
the market differentiation from all of the recently new technologies is
unlikely to result in lower prices. However, a HomePlug based technology
(viable worldwide, no new wire) has the potential to be more robust and
lower in cost than anything now available.

I do use X-10 based modules.