Re: X10 -> UPB?

news:42d68991.20364279@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Kurt Delaney" <kurt_dot_delaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >"Dave Houston" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I've also written that I expect UPB will likely prove robust (given
that
> >> it's two-way with ACK/NAK) and be popular with installers. I think the
> >> question that is still unanswered is whether the higher cost is
justified
> >> and that's really up to each user to decide.
> >
> >Is UPB really more expensive?  In comparing switches w/ similiar
> >capabilities (true rocker, scenes, etc.), I think the new UPB switches
are
> >running right in the middle of the pack compared to PCS SmartSwitch,
> >SmartLinc, Lightolier, etc.  If you are saying that they are more
expensive
> >that stock X10 switches, then that is true.  But that is an apples to
> >oranges comparison.
> >
> >Note -- I am an end user w/ NO vested interest in any particular product
> >discussed here.
>
> Which of the switches you've listed have you used?

I have used PCS, SwitchLinc (corrected my error above), and Leviton in a
previous house.  I am currently evaluating what to use in our new house.

> All of the switches you listed (except UPB) use X-10's PLC protocol so all
> would appear to be oranges vs. one apple.

I may have misundersood your previous comment.  I read it as you saying that
UPB (new technology) is more expensive than X10 in general.  I was just
trying to point out that for similiar functionality, they are about the same
price.  Now, no manufacturer of UPB devices seem to be developing a
bare-bones basic switch that competes against the $10 X10 switches -- I
don't know if they ever will.

Kurt