Re: Need for pool

"Worthy" babbled:

> "Robert L Bass"  wrote in message >
>> >
>> > "Frank Olson" dribbled:
>> >
>> >  I wonder how many of the systems *you* sell get "red
>>
>> So far, none.  We already know that Olson has no problem with that since
> he
>> never installed anything.
>>
>> > DIYER's pulling permits? I wonder how many of the systems he sells get
>> > inspected. I will bet there is about zero time spent talking about the
>> > requirements of permits during his sales process. I have never visited
> his
>> > website. Is there anything there at all about permitting and
>> > inspections through the local jurisdictions.
>>
>> DIYers?  How about so-called "professional" installers?
>
> Why didn't you answer about DIYer's? That was the topic. Why spin it? Duck
> it? Dodge it?

Uh, no.  The topic is "Need for pool" but you and Olson turned it into a
flame.

>> I spent 24 years running an illegal small, central station alarm company.

> We didn't pull permits in any town that required them.

Shame on you.

> You couldn't have anyway without a license? Or... you would have had to act
> like all other unlicensed contractors and have someone else pull one for
> you?

I carried the CT L1 low voltage electrical contractor's license.  Where are
you getting your information from, Olson?  You ought to know by now he's a
pathalogical liar.

>> A few rural towns in CT didn't but most required a
>> permit.
>
> So your business was limited to those few rural towns...what a shame.

You think so?  You probably believe I only sell a little bit online, too.
Call your local ADI rep and ask him who is the largest client (other than the
nationals) in my region.

>> I also pulled permits when we took over commercial fire alarms.
>
> Again, how did you do this from 1979-1986?

I had licensed installers working for me long before I got the L1.

>>You see, almost none of the local alarm companies ever pull permits unless
>>the job is new construction.
>
> And you have knowledge of this?

Yes, I do.  I've heard the same thing from numerous inspectors and city clerk
employees.  They practiucally never see an application for a permit for an
alarm system installation.  Only when it's new construction do they get the
applications.

> You really are far removed from what actually happens in the industry.

You really are trying hard to believe that to be so.

> Those that don't pull permits, in areas that require them, either don't have
> a license or their insurance/worker
> comp isn't up to date.

I didn't say *why* most alarm companies don't bother pulling permits.  I only
said they don't.  I'll leave the explanation to you.

> Some of the nationals, giving systems away for
> "Free", where not taking on the overhead. There isn't any reason not to pull
> a permit. It is part of the job cost, which you have a hard time believing
> exists...

I know what it costs to do the job right.  I also know that many alarm
companies don't even try to do anything right.  They just slap in the least
cost "system" so they get that recurring monthly revenue rolling and rush to
the next victim.  I didn't realize you hadn't paid your workman's compensation
insurance and that you are unlicensed.  You really should be ashamed of
yourself.

> So don't classify those that can't pull a permit into something you
> would like people to believe, like legal local companies don't pull permits
> by choice.

I didn't say you were "legal" (I think you meant to say, "legitimate" but with
that limited vocabulary of yours... oh, never mind).

>> I seriously doubt Worthy pulls permits unless he knows
>> he'll get caught.
>
> You would loose that bet...

That's easy to say, but prove it.

> Did you ever think (which would be a challenge for you, I know) to simply
> state, "Check with your local jurisdiction about permitting and plan
> approval requirements for this product. Failure to  comply may result in
> penalties from local and/or state authorities."

Naah.  I tell people what is required by the national fire alarm code, explain
that the local AHJ may have his own requirements and suggest they file for a
permit.  I also send all the required hardware documentation and (where
available) provide a load calc spreadsheet.  Then I teach them how to do the
installation.  Fortunately, the job is so simple any primate can master it.
After all, you're in the business.

> But than again, it might look like you are supporting regulation
> and chase away the illegal contractors you sell to, which might
> cut into your bottom line. Question is, how deep.

Illegal contractors?  Care to state which ones those might be?  Names, dates
and addresses, please.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass