Re: Need for pool

"Robert L Bass" <RobertLBass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:uR02k.40131$yg6.9898@xxxxxxxxxxx
> "Barney" wrote:
> >
> > Bass lists every device ever sold on his website, doesn't he?.
>
> It might seem so.  We have over 236,000 products from more than 300
> manufacturers online.  We handle a number of swimming pool alarms but not
the
> floating type.  Ours (GRI, mostly) are designed to alert a homeowner if a
door
> or window facing the lanai (Florida-speak for "enclosed patio" around the
> pool) is opened.  Florida and California now require them on all swimming
pool
> enclosures.

It is only one of three options the homeowner has. Pool alarms are not
mandated as the homeowners only option. You don't sell the equipment for the
other options, so that is why you probably don't mention them. If you want
US Rep. Debbie Wasserman-Schultz phone number, you can talk to her about the
other options since she is the one that sponsored the bill in Florida when
she was a Florida senator. Any alarm contractor that installs pool alarms is
completely out of their mind. Why would one take the liability of a child's
death for what, 50-100-200 bucks? Those alarms are disabled and/or removed
the minute someone moves in but you are still the contractor of record.
Until there is an annual inspection and certification requirement, such as
on a fire alarm system, no one should touch them. The devices should be
deemed a piece of life safety equipment and treated as such. It is a moot
issue since we all know the requirement will never happen on a residential
application. If you want to make a comparison on the issue, simply ask what
a pool company's required liability insurance coverage is and then compare
that to yours. I think you will find that there is millions of dollars in
difference. If you are going to do it, make sure you are well insured and
your carrier knows that pool alarms are part of your business. They may not
write your insurance knowing that but you don't want to hide it either. If
you do, you might not be covered on a claim. Then do a reality check on your
conscience. Someone's computer being stolen and a child's death weighs a
little differently. At least it does with me when I know that these devices,
in most cases, are something that are being disabled immediately after they
get the pool inspection.