Re: Insteon -- Any New Experiences?

nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dave Houston) wrote in news:44178bdb.350742062
@nntp.fuse.net:

> A $50 ESM1 meter will usually find a noise source.

Yes. When I first installed Insteon, I was discouraged to find major
reliability problems. My ESM1 pinpointed a major noise issue with my under-
counter low-voltage "puck" lights whenever they were switched on. I changed
them to very similar LINE-voltage puck lights, but while changing them, I
uncovered a problem in the wiring that had the ground wire in contact with
the neutral wire. I went ahead with the swap anyway (and fixed the wiring),
but of course it ocurred to me that the bad wiring may have been the
culprit all along - especially since the same lights in another location
did not seem to introduce any noise at all.

Anyway, my Insteon system has performed perfectly ever since. Now I'm just
waiting for wireless remotes, motion sensors, and universal modules in
Insteon.

I would agree with fpmacko that, with -any- PLC type system, you will have
to be somewhat mindfull of noise. However, RF is far from perfect as well,
and Insteon is much better than X10 and I like the idea that EVERY Insteon
device is a PL signal repeater as well. Now that every switch in my house
is Insteon, my house blanketed with close to 60 signal repeaters and
reliablity is rock solid.

Jim H.