Re: Insteon -- Any New Experiences?

I will agree that their emphasis on terms like "dual mesh network" is
misleading - I've posted critical comments on that here. But the diagram you
cite refers to, as yet, non-existent RF devices that can be network members.
Unless they've added something in the past few days, the RF SignaLincs are
the only Insteon RF products available.

However, equating a slow, one-way ASK PLC protocol like X-10 with a fast,
two-way (with ACK/NAK) BPSK PLC protocol like Insteon is a much greater
distortion than anything from SmartHome's marketeers.

RF has a place as an adjunct to any basic network, whether it be hard-wired
or PLC, but a reliable RF-only network is likely to be far too expensive for
most of us - just check the prices on Lutron's RadioRA. Z-Wave has been
available for much longer than Insteon but about the only people touting
Z-Wave in this forum are those with a financial interest in it or those who
don't understand the fundamentals and are easily swayed by hyperbolic press
releases.

One thing that I wish SmartHome would do is publish the range of "noise"
frequencies that will be a problem for Insteon. I think it will be a narrow
band when compared to X-10 - older X-10 devices respond to frequencies
between ~75-200kHz.

I think Insteon will likely be ubiquitous in a few years. It will be hard
for anyone to compete with $20 dimmable switches.