Re: Insteon -- Any New Experiences?

I gave up on Insteon and sent the whole kit back for a refund.
(starter kit+ powerlinc USB + mcontrol s/w)  Coverage was very poor.  I
couldn't consistently the Insteon control modules even a few feet from
the signalinc or boosterlinc. (I never tried to control myx10 modules.)
 I'm an experienced x10 user and have an existing, stable X10 system
operating in a 3-level 5300 sft home including coverage to exterior
devices in the yard at the end of a long buried AC line..  My x10
system has been adequate, but the insteon product was a nonstarter for
me.  Give it a try with the starter kit, but go into it with your eyes
open.

I think the core flaw is that it's actually a hybrid system.  Yeah,
it's wireless-based....to an extent.  But the powerlinc modules aren't
wireless.  They use essentially the x10 powerline mode to communicate
with the signalincs, which are in-turn the gateway to the wireless
network.  So you still have to fight battles with co-circuit PCs, UPSs,
and any other load unfriently to power line signaling.  I elected to
not fight that battle and will instead wait for zigbee products to
become available.

 BTW, the mcontrol software is unstable and butt-ugly.