Re: I think they've done it again.

http://www.techmall.com/post.asp?method=ReplyQuote&REPLY_ID=636&TOPIC_ID=180&FORUM_ID=9

> "The component that is in question is the choke coil. Repeated
> INSTEON signals generated by the dimmer or controller were getting
> into the triac and causing the flicker. We have increased the value
> of the choke coil to attenuate the INSTEON signals that go into the
> triac. "

(some stuff snipped)

> If, as it appears, the problem is with the high-current input choke and
can
> be solved by doubling the inductance, more turns on the inductor would do
> the trick if that doesn't cause the inductor to saturate. But if a
> physically larger inductor is needed, space will be a problem. The INSTEON
> dimmer cases are/can be made shallower than most other dimmers in part
> because the choke is smaller.
>
> Because the response from INSTEON implied (to me at least, reading between
> the lines) that an add-on choke might resolve the flicker problem. However
> there isn't room for an add-on choke ("Lamp debuzzing coil") such as those
> sold by Lutron and others in all but the largest switch boxes.
>
> I have no problems with flickering lights (but did several years ago prior
> to installing any INSTEON owing to a inadequately torqued connection to
the
> neutral/ground  bar in the entrance panel).

I can understand the inductor problem in their own device.  But I'm confused
by reports of other dimmers flickering during transmission of Insteon
signals.  That's what pointed me toward possible early detection of the zero
crossing in the effected devices.

Do you think the Insteon dimmers emit enough ringing onto the line to cause
other dimmers to misbehave?  Why would that happen just during transmission
of Insteon signals?  Or are the reports of other dimmers being effected of
questionable validity?

Jeff