Re: Speaker Kill Switch

> ... That means advice has to be generic because
> we don't know specifics...

Good point.  Agreed.

> (3) One of the reasons that people use impedance
> matching controls is so that when you switch one
> speaker out, the others don't get louder.  How does
> a simple switch address that problem?...

If you interrupt the load side of the circuit (between the speaker and the
V/C) there will be no discernable change in the other speakers.
Interrupting the line side (between amp and V/C) could cause a noticable
change, depending on the way it's loaded.  As a rule, I put an interrupt
switch on the load side and a source selection switch (same switch;
different application) on the line side.  Using moderate volume settings and
good quality impedance matching volume controls, I've found that even
switching the line side does not usually cause enough of a bump elsewhere to
be a problem.  Note, however, that most of my multi-zone installations have
been larger homes and offices where a large number of rooms are served.  If
you have nine or ten speaker pairs running and you drop one pair out of the
circuit the difference isn't much.  Do the same thing with only two pairs
running and you'll probably notice the change.

I've done quite a few of these installations, Bobby and many of them have
employed A/B selectors before or after the V/C.  I honestly can't recall an
instance when cutting out one room adversely affected the others.  That may
be related to the way autoformers work or it might just be that I didn't
notice though I do consider myself a somewhat critical listener.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics