Re: Speaker Kill Switch

"Robert L Bass" <robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> Common switches which may be found at RadShak, etc.,
> should be used with care.  Speaker control A/B switches which are commonly
> used for this purpose do not short the leads.

I think, typically, there's been a morphing as to what I said.  We don't
know what kind of amp he's switching, nor do we know what kind of speaker
impedance matching controls he has, although we can assume from his message
that he has them.  That means advice has to be generic because we don't know
specifics.  If he's using Speakercraft, for example, they use a 12 step
?make before break? switch design in their speaker controllers:

http://www.smarthome.com/972579.HTML

"These premium units have 12-step make-before-break contacts, ensuring a
smooth and even transition when changing volume settings."

(No affliation - just the first place Google brought me too)

> The only other reasons I can think of for using a switch designed
> for the purpose are (1) it will have the same design as the volume
> control and (2) it will be rated for the same or greater amperage as
>  the V/C.  Other than that, anything that will open the circuit will
> do the trick.

(3) One of the reasons that people use impedance matching controls is so
that when you switch one speaker out, the others don't get louder.  How does
a simple switch address that problem?   I would think one of the things E.
Lee would like to avoid is killing the speaker facing the neighbors only to
have that power suddenly dumped into the rest of the outdoor speakers.  It
might even seem like he was turning the volume up instead of down.

--
Bobby G.