Re: I think they've done it again.

"Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in message

<stuff snipped>

> Do you think the Insteon dimmers emit enough ringing onto the line to
cause
> other dimmers to misbehave?

Could be the case when a whole house full of them starts singing in a mesh
network chorale.

> Why would that happen just during transmission of Insteon
> signals?  Or are the reports of other dimmers being effected of
> questionable validity?

We've seen other reports through the years of dimmers being affected by
devices not directly connected to them.

Very, very coincidentally today, at my Dad's house, I noticed that the shop
light begins to flicker when he plugs in his powerchair charger, which
delivers a constant 4A at 24VDC.  The strip lamp is a standard 48" HD
special with energy saving bulbs behind an X-10 5A filter plugged into the
same outlet (eventually) as the charger (which is actually plugged into the
UPS's surge protected but not battery backed outlets.  That UPS is plugged
into a powerstrip with 4 others that are plugged into an ACT 15A filter.

The lamp's flickered before under other circumstances but the charger is
definitely new to the equation.  I'm going to look for any voltage drop when
the charger is switched on because that's probably the simplest explanation.
But it sure surprised the both of us when we I hit the "On" button and the
overheads flickered.  There is an XTB in that room.  I'll unplug that too,
just to make sure it's not involved.  I'm going to film my experiments with
my new solid state pocketcam with only three moving parts lest my
credibility be questioned! :-)  We had some massive storms roll by in the
last few days and the power's been flipping on and off like store lights at
closing time.  Anything could be wrong.

Say, Jeff - why aren't you locked away in your lab creating a followup to
the XTB?  There's a great line from (I think) _The Usual Suspects_ that goes
something like this: "Sure you saved my last last week but what have you
done for me lately?"  :-)

--
Bobby G.