Re: I think they've done it again.

In article <gozng.250887$Fs1.208553@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, JeffVolp@xxxxxxx (Jeff Volp) writes:

| Do you think the Insteon dimmers emit enough ringing onto the line to cause
| other dimmers to misbehave?  Why would that happen just during transmission
| of Insteon signals?

It's possible that when the MCU is busy handling an Insteon transmission
it has timing problems controlling the triac (because of unanticipated code
paths or even a deficiency in total processor cycles).  Perhaps merely a
jitter in the turn-on time could make the noise worse for some dimmers.

The issue of firmware-timed triac dimmers misbehaving when the MCU is
doing something else is certainly not unheard of.  Odd sensitivity in
zero-crossing detectors in other devices isn't that uncommon either.
I have a clock and a VCR (among other things) on an APC SmartUPS 1000XL.
When on battery the clock in the VCR runs fast and the stand-alone digital
clock runs slow.  (Or maybe it was the other way around.)  The UPS is
supposedly pure sine wave...

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com