Re: X10 General Question

There's the difference between us!  I spent $40 worth of lawn mowing money
on a used (but already *soldered*) Hallicrafters at Lafayette.  I think I
was twelve.  Even more fun was a trip to the electronic shops along Canal
St. in NYC.  Dad was into fixing the old Dumont TV himself and even got his
own tube tester eventually.  Back then, fixing a TV was mostly about looking
for the dark or discolored tubes.  Brings back memories.  There's nothing
that smells quite like the inside of a big tube TV from the '50s.

--
Bobby G.

"BruceR" <br@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote

> Ah yes, Lafayette. They had a store in the town I grew up in - one of my
> favorite places. For my 10th birthday I asked my father to buy me their
> 5 tube shortwave radio kit ($23) which is what I learned to solder on. I
> was so happy when it actually worked and I picked up WWV, VOA, BBC and
> Radio Moscow. My father put a long wire antenna on the roof and my radio
> mentor, Captain Kasanov (AF ret.) at the radio club helped me modify the
> antenna circuit to improve it a bit.
>
> From:Robert Green
> ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx

<stuff snipped>