Re: is x10.com dead?

> Robbert,
>
> There's one big problem with the x10 alternatives.
> Most of the automation packages, such as HAL, do
> not support them...

HAL 2000 does support Z-Wave:
http://www.automatedliving.com/products_interfaces.html

HomeSeer supports Z-Wave:
http://www.homeseer.com/products/hardware/specialty_hardware.htm

ELK M1Gold supports Z-Wave:
http://www.elkproducts.com/products/m1/M1XZW.htm

Note the image in the above referenced URL.  It's a collage of
Z-Wave Alliance member firms and it reads like a Who's Who of
automation manufacturers.

> If I understand the new Smart
> Home system, it uses the X10 protocol but enhances
> it by sending it over both the power line and RF
> methods...

I'd describe that as supplementing rather than enhancing the X10
signal.  At first glance it appears to be a good idea.  They may
sell lots of them.  However, past problems with all things 'Linc
give me serious pause before accepting the product line.

> This would appear to be a good solution to both the
> reliability problems and the support issue...

Reliability can be improved using multiple protocols.  However,
if they keep making low quality like other 'Linc products, the
problems will persist.

> Have you, or anyone else, had any experience using
> this system?

I haven't invested in Insteon.  I might just buy a few products
to test when I get back to the US in April, 2006.  I'm much more
interested in Z-Wave.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large
groups.