Re: is x10.com dead?

> Sure they compare.  If you want to use PC's, you have to make an effort to
> understand them, their liabilities, their strengths and weaknesses and how
> to configure them.  You face an assortment of perils from phishers to
> hackers to version conflicts to incompatible hardware.  You've got to put
it
> a lot of smarts to be able to use the technology that's labeled,
> facetiously, plug and play.

Or you just buy a machine running an OS without the risks and a firewall to
block the garbage.  I suppose the analogy of a mac or linux box behind an
added firewall box would compare to getting better switches and a repeater
that works reliably.

> X-10's a slightly different sort of technology and was ironically born
just
> about the same time as personal computing.  It's no surprise that you
still
> have to learn the ropes with either technology.   To escape that learning
> cost you have to take something that's been around for 80 years like an
> electric drill.  Anyone can drill a hole without being an expert on
motors.

> HA and PC's are not commodities like power drills or hair dryers.  They
both
> have serious gotchas.  The "gotcha" for Lutron RA is that it doesn't offer
> anywhere NEAR the breadth of options that X-10 does.

If those options don't work reliably, can't work reliably because of their
antiquated design and substandard manufacturing, then they're no solution.

> Wrong sir, it's lost its patent protection and is now an open standard.

De facto does not equal standard.

> > Giving away shite doesn't take the smell off it.  Giving away crack
still
> > has you ending up living in a crack house.  No thanks.
>
> Disparaging my analogies and then comparing X-10 to crack tends to cast
> doubt on your ability to evaluate analogies, yours or mine.  Is this where
> say listen to your own advice and "pick an analogy that works?" <g>   HA
and
> PC's are both modern technologies, crack is an addicting drug that
destroys
> people's lives.  I leave it to you to decide, rationally which analogies
> hold true.

One might want to call a few spouses and get their unbiased opinions on just
what HA efforts have done to peoples lives.  I know I'm not asking mine!

> We've already covered reasons why that's not acceptable but I will review.
> The reasons Lutron RA gets an F in my book are:  Lack of devices and too
> high a price.

Fortunately I can afford reliability and encourage others to insist on it.
X-10 can't deliver that.

> > Why is it X-10 needs so much apologizing for it?
>
> We're not apologizing, we're merely explaining.  X-10 was born in an
older,
> simpler era and had to find its way through an increasingly more
complicated
> and unfriendly environment.  I feel it's done admirably.  That
hardscrabble
> life story appeals to some of us, I guess.

Oh for pity's sake, give me a break.  Apologizing and then trying to defend
it as some of underdog?  The argument is getting desperate.  It's old, was
poorly designed, is made with miserably sub-par manufacturing standards and
cannot operate reliably in a modern home.  It's day is done.

-Bill Kearney