Re: Insteon -- Any New Experiences?

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 01:24:27 GMT, Mitch <sumcoolgai@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <fDNMf.3077$xS5.1769@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I'm looking at doing a fairly good size lighting system in an existing
>house and am thinking about Insteon...
>
>I'd like to hear from anyone who has done anything significant with
>these products.  How was your experience?  Reliability, etc. would be
>great to hear about.
>
>Many thanks,
>
>Mitch

See my other recent posts. I've ripped out what was left of the X-10 from
our house. INSTEON will replace X10 and probably some other equipment that
had homebrew hardware.

INSTEON ICON is less expensive than (eg) Leviton X-10, much more reliable,
more flexible, faster, has better tactile feel and so on.

Speed *is* important in a system that uses feedback, for example, setting
light level by measuring actual illumination rather than simply as a
fraction of the powerline cycle (conventional dimmer).

Some quibbles (some temporary, and in no particular order):

1) switches are the conventional contemporary "Decora' style that is not
well suited for many locations in our home

2) colors  other than white are not (yet) available for ICON switches

3) no switched outlet available (yet)

4) ICON and V2 switches have different interfaces (1-touch vs 2-touch)

5) AC line noise still unassessed (by me).

The first issue may be easily resolved with a different face plate which may
not have to be homebrew if this is already planned (I dunno). Also, the
design seems to be amenable to a home-brew low-voltage extension of the
switch contacts (reed relay, 1-wire, DMX-512 etc) which would liberate the
switch from its unappealing (to me) physical interface.

My 2 cents .. Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org