Re: is x10.com dead?

"Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:0zqIf.396107

<stuff snipped>

> Have you ever really looked at what is inside one of these X10 modules?
> Aside from the mediocre construction, it is a tremendous value.  That's
why
> they have achieved such good market penetration.

Considering you can buy appliance modules on sale or through E-bay new for
less than $5 there's nothing that comes within miles of the price.  X-10 has
annual sales of many millions of dollars.  There's a lot of X-10 equipment
out there and it's not going to go away any time soon.

> Yes, there will always be a market for the expensive high-end stuff.  Just
> like there is still a market for vinyl records and tube amplifiers.  Some
> people want a $10,000 HA system so they can brag about its capabilities.
We
> just want things to work.

Agreed.  A Lutron RA system is nice but when I consider the price per load
it's not *so* much better than I feel compelled to switch.  Insteon is much
closer to the price point I prefer but if you buy a meter, a box of X-10
filters and some sort of coupler or repeater, you're probably going to be
able to maintain a good X-10 installation.  Lots of people here in CHA do.

There are few technical things that have lasted as long as X-10.  The
appliance modules from the 1980's work as well as the ones made this year.
I may be old-fashioned, but I like to get a bang for my buck and X-10's
given me that.  And now that people are flocking to other protocols, the
X-10 Ebay deals are only getting better and better!

No, it's not perfect, but it's good enough and it's impossible to beat,
pricewise.

--
Bobby G.