Re: is x10.com dead?

> Agreed.  A Lutron RA system is nice but when I consider the price per load
> it's not *so* much better than I feel compelled to switch.

I totally disagree.  Since switching over to RadioRA last spring we've had
absolutely NO control issues whatsoever.  They work, every time without
fail.  From local wall switch controls to RS-232 computer interface and the
RF remote visor controls.  Rock solid.  X-10 was PLAGUED with trouble here
(and in other, past residences).  With RadioRA I just wired 'em up and they
worked.  I would certainly like them to be less expensive and to offer a
wall outlet and/or appliance module.  I think if they dropped the price per
wall swtich to an under $50 price point they'd see a dramatic increase in
unit sales.  Ah well, at least they work!

> There are few technical things that have lasted as long as X-10.

This has as much to do with the hobbyist nature of the HA market more than
anything else.

> The appliance modules from the 1980's work as well
> as the ones made this year.

More like fail just as randomly now as they did when new.  That's not the
same as being "good".

> No, it's not perfect, but it's good enough and it's impossible to beat,
> pricewise.

Crappy stuff that drives me and my wife crazy is not my idea of a bargain.

I hear what you're saying, it's just not worth the aggravation.

-Bill Kearney