Re: Experience with X10Pro versus old X10?

Hello Jack,

>>>While I can't tell for SURE yet, I believe that most, if not all of my
>>>Insteon problems are related to the never released beta version 2414X
>>>Translator that is the heart of the system. As I will soon be replacing
>>>that with RoZetta we will then know for sure.  I also plan to replace
>>>all my V2 dimmers at the same time. Stay tuned for late September
>>>update.
>>>
>>I will definitely stay tuned. Sometimes I think about doing home
>>automation installation once I retire but only if there was a system
>>that is reliable enough so I can guarantee my work. And that ain't X10,
>>at least not yet.
>>
>>When I have a break in consulting work I might try out something with an
>>MSP430, to see if a really good 120kHz receiver can be designed around
>>it, matched filter for the protocol and all that. Maybe starting with a
>>relay module that can switch CF lamps.

> The ability to switch CF lamps is dependent on the lamp brand rather than
> the module.  The Greenlite MINI 18 watt (75 watt light output) works OK
> with an unmodified Appliance Module.  The X10 Appliance Module
> is a relay module.
>
> Some compact fluorescent lamps put a noise spike on the line when power
> is removed causing an Appliance Module to switch on.  The Lights of America
> brand is known to do this.

If it's the "switch wiggle" turn-on feature or whatever that's called
this could be fixed. But I was more concerned about their behavior on
dimmer modules. Erratic behavior of the CFL upon dimming would be ok as
long as neither the lamp nor the module is in danger of being fried.

> BTW, I've been using X10 modules since dark brown modules were available
> as the BSR brand.

I started much later, about 5 years ago. Then when I opened a module I
was not very enthused :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com