Re: Experience with X10Pro versus old X10?

Hello Neil,

>>>Joerg,  Your best bet then would be to stock up on some X10 filters.
>>>They look just like the other plug in modules but you use them on items
>>>that attenuate the signal or add noise to the line. Your printer is a
>>>perfect example as are various TV sets, EMI power strips, vacuums, etc.
>>>I have about 5 in my home and they do a nice a job.  It's really a
>>>matter of lowering the noise and raising the signal level.
>
> Vacuums tend to be noise generators (though I don't know what the
> spectrum is). The other devices will sink the signal (attenuate).

It's pretty wide, goes up to several hundred kHz with gusto :-(

The first vacuum cleaner I repaired as a kid had at least an elementary
EMI filter in there, common mode choke and X-cap. The "new and improved"
vacuums often show nada.

>>Yes, I made myself some and that fixed, for example, the problem that
>>none of the modules at the south end of the house would work after I
>>bought a Dell inkjet. I wonder how that thing ever made it through EMC
>>cert.
>
> IMO the problem is the lack of understanding of the problem not the
> product. Don't worry most people think it's noise on the line when
> most times (but not always) its signal loss. The problem is that the
> device is acting as a black hole (signals go into the device and don't
> come out). A filter will make the device look like a high impedance
> device to X10 frequencies (harder for the X10 signal to enter) and
> less signal loss will occur. It's a low impedence device to the AC
> (50/60 Hz).

That's why I check the signal levels with a scope or an RF millivolt
meter. They are usually ok. But you are right, most lay people wouldn't
have a clue about it. That's why I believe that X10 at it's present
performance level will never really take off. People would bring the
stuff back to the stores, saying "It ain't working right".

>>Well, my tolerance level for sloppy electronics design is quite low.
>
> And your using x10 ... one has to wonder. ;-)

Yeah, got a point there. But when I bought it years ago there was
nothing else around at reasonable price levels. AFAICT there still
isn't. I have read similar "works ... then doesn't work" stories about
Insteon.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com