Re: Experience with X10Pro versus old X10?

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 00:19:52 GMT, Joerg wrote:
> Hello Bruce,
>

>> Joerg,  Your best bet then would be to stock up on some X10 filters.
>> They look just like the other plug in modules but you use them on items
>> that attenuate the signal or add noise to the line. Your printer is a
>> perfect example as are various TV sets, EMI power strips, vacuums, etc.
>> I have about 5 in my home and they do a nice a job.  It's really a
>> matter of lowering the noise and raising the signal level.

Vacuums tend to be noise generators (though I don't know what the
spectrum is). The other devices will sink the signal (attenuate).

> Yes, I made myself some and that fixed, for example, the problem that
> none of the modules at the south end of the house would work after I
> bought a Dell inkjet. I wonder how that thing ever made it through EMC
> cert.

IMO the problem is the lack of understanding of the problem not the
product. Don't worry most people think it's noise on the line when
most times (but not always) its signal loss. The problem is that the
device is acting as a black hole (signals go into the device and don't
come out). A filter will make the device look like a high impedance
device to X10 frequencies (harder for the X10 signal to enter) and
less signal loss will occur. It's a low impedence device to the AC
(50/60 Hz).

> Well, my tolerance level for sloppy electronics design is quite low.

And your using x10 ... one has to wonder. ;-)

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site