Re: Experience with X10Pro versus old X10?

Hello Bruce,

> Joerg,  Your best bet then would be to stock up on some X10 filters.
> They look just like the other plug in modules but you use them on items
> that attenuate the signal or add noise to the line. Your printer is a
> perfect example as are various TV sets, EMI power strips, vacuums, etc.
> I have about 5 in my home and they do a nice a job.  It's really a
> matter of lowering the noise and raising the signal level.

Yes, I made myself some and that fixed, for example, the problem that
none of the modules at the south end of the house would work after I
bought a Dell inkjet. I wonder how that thing ever made it through EMC
cert. But with a vacuum cleaner or a margarita mixer that's not easy.
You never know where these are going to be plugged in.

Well, my tolerance level for sloppy electronics design is quite low.
They could have done a better job without increased cost for that
filter. Some day (when I have a lot of time) I'll design a little preamp
that fits over the IC and provides some real filtering. Reducing the 6dB
bandwidth from tens of kHz to just a few kHz makes a world of a difference.

>  The analogy I use when explaining X10 is that of me at one end of the
> house yelling to my wife at the other end of the house to turn on a
> light.  On a quiet day she hears me and all is well. If a TV is blaring
> somewhere in the house the noise drowns me out till the door of the TV
> room is closed (filter) and she can hear me again. I could also use an
> intercom to call her (repeater or RF bridge) or a megaphone (XTB).

It also depends on what you yelled. Maybe she conveniently could not
understand :-)))

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com