Re: SooooOOOOOOOOOO ?

On 5/28/2021 12:12 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
>> es, that is a very oldie!!
>>
>> I had a job to install a Fire Alarm in a renovated building that
>> was going to have 8 apartments. The building owner/contractor
>> was Amish. The deal was 50% to start, 30% on delivery of equipment
>> and 20% on completion. Did the pre-wire and when the place was
>> ready to start the install I got the equipment and delivered to
>> location and received a check for $2600. Two days later I found
>> out that the check had bounced. I was on my way to another job.
>> I turned around and when to the apartment site. The place was
>> locked up, no one on site. I got the outside key and went inside
>> and removed all the parts and placed in my van. Then I called
>> the Amish guy on his cell phone. I told him his check bounced
>> and if he wanted the job completed it would have to be cash or
>> a cashiers check before I would continue. He said, "Well you
>> don't know how to work with the Amish!!" I never told him that
>> I had removed the equipment and I never went back. I informed
>> the local inspector I was off the job. I used the equipment
>> on other jobs there after.
>>
>> Les
> Sounds to me as if you know how to work with the Amish very well indeed !
>
> I think there is this mythical notion that because the Amish lead a very austere life style reminiscent of a more innocent and - - -  a person is as good as his hand shake  - -  times, that they are not up to date in the wheeling and dealings of todays business.
> If you want to delve into it, do some research on who was associated with enforcement for Howard Hughes during his Las Vegas days.

Yes the Amish are not that "tech savvy" but with it comes to making a
buck that is a different story.  We had a Amish Carpenter build us a
solid cherry china close as well as some cabinets, desk and counter for
our kitchen.  When it came time to install the stuff we got a postcard
saying that his driver had a medical issue and wanted to know if we
could help by picking up the materials, tools and him and bringing
all to the house for the install.  I borrowed a friends pickup truck
and my wife drove our Subaru Station Wagon and we drove about 20 miles
to his shop.  Loaded everything up and came back to the house.  We
unloaded all and he got to work.  About hour later he said he forgot
his circular saw and asked if I had one.  I said yes, and got my saw and
extension cord.  He was set up in the front yard.  I heard the saw
running and then an abrupt stop and the lights flickered.  I went out
front and he was standing there looking at the ends of wire to the saw
that he just cut through.  I think he was looking for the hydraulic
fluid that he thought was running the saw.  He looked at me and he said.
"I think I cut your Vire!!"  I said; "Let me get some things and I will
fix it."  "You know about dis stuff??"  I got some wire nuts and tape
and made the splice.  Flipped the breaker back on and he got back to
work. He said; "Vel, it is good you know about dis stuff!!"

Told him to be careful!!!

Oh, I can't type it all that well but, you can apply some Dutch Accent
to his words in order to appreciate the moment. :-)

BTW the work he did for us was excellent and remains so today!!

Les