Re: UTC’s Interlogix division to close down by end of 2019

On 10/29/2019 11:16 PM, napinc7@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> Well, perhaps this counts on my experience history. I did use mercury tilt switches on my 67' Camaro when I was 16, to keep thieves from stealing my 10" Micky Thompson slick tires. I used the mercury bulbs from converted parts from home thermostats, and if anyone tried to jack up any parts of the car to get to the tires or into the hood, it set off a seriously loud alarm with keyed external access. I just could not get the cellular backup to work in the early 70s though.
>
> The majority of false alarms indeed are from bugs nesting around motion detectors or rodents finding their way to them, but I do not think that they will go away anytime soon even with the new systems down the pike. The second is from homeowners that cannot remember how to turn on the alarm when they are home. The least used reason for motion false alarms, are from the locations of motions creating false alarms when the sun angle changes as the seasons come and go, and the installer did not, or could not foretell how the sun angle might suddenly flood a room with so much sunlight/heat that the detector is set off. And the last reason is from obscenely strong heat or A/C fans/ductwork that floods the room suddenly with air that is tens or more of degrees off from ambient temperature.
>
> As to glassbreak detectors, yes, they are all individually tested with a glass break tester upon installation. And, whenever I get asked by the buyer if that will really work for testing purposes, I simply go out to my van and get my 22 ounce framing hammer and come back in and say, "Okay, will this do?" All of them have backed off so far. I am not making this up. Most of them, I just have to say that I will go get my  framing hammer, and then they laugh & say that the glass break tester will do fine.
>
> For the defeating of door and window sensors there are high security double-balanced types, and using double end-of-line resistors can make things rather arduous for novice thieves. We use those for high security areas such as gun ranges & ammo stores, etc.
>
> I understand what you are saying, but for real security, 'The new future equipment will make it much easier for the criminals to overcome all the newfangled wireless doors, windows, sensors, but most importantly, the brains/mainboard and the communicators.
>
> Any system that only relies on Wifi to get communications out thru the premise router, is doomed to fail once people figure out how to get around that.. Cellular is better but still vulnerable. Telco lines are direct, but are also readily accessed and cut unless they are underground as some commercial places are.
>
> But the overall weakness to me, is the concentration of the 'brains' of a system into one tiny geographical square foot of space or smaller. That is where the weakness lies mostly. And I will not go into it online for everyone to know either.

> [...]
False alarms?
I love the one where the homeowner forgets their code and starts using
the ambush code to arm/disarm their system.
over 40 years we've had a fairly large number of that problem..  ;-)
Good thing is the local police quickly learn where they live..  LOL
RTS

--

*Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.*