Re: UTC’s Interlogix division to close down by end of 2019

Well you all, I also never did like Napco's keypads with the 'Computorized =
Security System' plastered across the bottom, and neither did I like the lo=
gic hierarchy/arrangement of the programming, though I only remember taking=
 over only a small amount of those systems in the early to mid 2000s.

I never thought about the 'Zero' location until Les mentioned it. It is rat=
her quirky overall to me.

I have been cringing at all of the new type self-contained systems for a lo=
ng while. From the beginnings of Simple Simon says, 'FRONT     DOOR     OPE=
N', and on & on, with the high pitch beeps at the end, I always thought it =
was junk- a self-contained system that a small 2 lb. hammer could disable i=
n one second. Yes, I know about the new option that those type of systems c=
ame up with, to prevent that from happening; send the alarm out right away =
& then send an acknowledgement stand-down later.=20

The reliance that most of them have on using any number of specific frequen=
cies for communication, rather than wired systems, makes them more highly v=
ulnerable in my estimation. I consider an old-fashioned wired mainboard sep=
arated from keypad(s) much better security. I can hide a mainboard, and you=
 can smash all the keypads you want, it won't matter. But, any frequency ca=
n be jammed, and the system is totally rendered useless.

Also, the reliance on Wifi that everyone is jumping on the bandwagon for th=
e future of internet and alarm communications, is unnerving. Wifi is the ea=
siest communication system to crack. Wifi communications in businesses and =
homes, is like having hundreds of ethernet cables dangling all over the nei=
ghborhood, easily accessed by persons familiar on how that is accomplished.=
 Perhaps it is purposeful ...in the long run.  Whereas, you do need very cl=
ose proximity for wiring to be picked up electronically, even if you access=
 the surrounding
electrical field. Wifi is banned from my home and business in my surroundin=
gs. I do not need to worry about anyone accessing sensitive information at =
all.=20

In regards to communicators, we do use dual wired-only-internet with cellul=
ar backup, and some systems are actually triple redundant.=20

Now getting back to Interlogix, if their future is self-contained, frequenc=
y-only dependent, then let it die completely. What=E2=80=99s the point, the=
ir programming was only a copy of DSC anyway.=20

I sure hope that the future of Interlogix or any other security equipment c=
ompany, is not all going to rely only on the way of vulnerable comms, as th=
at would be a travesty.

Maybe their inspiration was from the 2014 Super Bowl Doritos commercial wit=
h Mr.
Smith and 'Jimmy', YouTube link,   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DY-P0Hs=
0ADJY
                                       =20
                    As Jimmy, says, =E2=80=9CIt=E2=80=99s the future.=E2=80=
=9D

Hogan