Re: UTC’s Interlogix division to close down by end of 2019

On Monday, October 28, 2019 at 11:55:32 PM UTC-4, Hogan wrote:
> Well you all, I also never did like Napco's keypads with the 'Computorize=
d Security System' plastered across the bottom, and neither did I like the =
logic hierarchy/arrangement of the programming, though I only remember taki=
ng over only a small amount of those systems in the early to mid 2000s.
>=20
> I never thought about the 'Zero' location until Les mentioned it. It is r=
ather quirky overall to me.
>=20
> I have been cringing at all of the new type self-contained systems for a =
long while. From the beginnings of Simple Simon says, 'FRONT     DOOR     O=
PEN', and on & on, with the high pitch beeps at the end, I always thought i=
t was junk- a self-contained system that a small 2 lb. hammer could disable=
 in one second. Yes, I know about the new option that those type of systems=
 came up with, to prevent that from happening; send the alarm out right awa=
y & then send an acknowledgement stand-down later.=20
>=20
> The reliance that most of them have on using any number of specific frequ=
encies for communication, rather than wired systems, makes them more highly=
 vulnerable in my estimation. I consider an old-fashioned wired mainboard s=
eparated from keypad(s) much better security. I can hide a mainboard, and y=
ou can smash all the keypads you want, it won't matter. But, any frequency =
can be jammed, and the system is totally rendered useless.
>=20
> Also, the reliance on Wifi that everyone is jumping on the bandwagon for =
the future of internet and alarm communications, is unnerving. Wifi is the =
easiest communication system to crack. Wifi communications in businesses an=
d homes, is like having hundreds of ethernet cables dangling all over the n=
eighborhood, easily accessed by persons familiar on how that is accomplishe=
d. Perhaps it is purposeful ...in the long run.  Whereas, you do need very =
close proximity for wiring to be picked up electronically, even if you acce=
ss the surrounding
> electrical field. Wifi is banned from my home and business in my surround=
ings. I do not need to worry about anyone accessing sensitive information a=
t all.=20
>=20
> In regards to communicators, we do use dual wired-only-internet with cell=
ular backup, and some systems are actually triple redundant.=20
>=20
> Now getting back to Interlogix, if their future is self-contained, freque=
ncy-only dependent, then let it die completely. What=E2=80=99s the point, t=
heir programming was only a copy of DSC anyway.=20
>=20
> I sure hope that the future of Interlogix or any other security equipment=
 company, is not all going to rely only on the way of vulnerable comms, as =
that would be a travesty.
>=20
> Maybe their inspiration was from the 2014 Super Bowl Doritos commercial w=
ith Mr.
> Smith and 'Jimmy', YouTube link,   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DY-P0=
Hs0ADJY
>                                        =20
>                     As Jimmy, says, =E2=80=9CIt=E2=80=99s the future.=E2=
=80=9D
>=20
> Hogan

All/some of what you say is true, but we don't governs the way technology p=
rogresses. The opposite is true. You may not like it but if you don't adapt=
 to the way it goes ---- you get left behind.=20

I still think that window foil is the best way to protect glass. Basswood d=
owel alarm screens with mercury tilt switches. Lacing a door etc.=20

Tell me ----- what is the source of the majority of false alarms in todays =
alarm systems? Probably the most misused and mis-applied sensor ---- the Pa=
ssive Infrared motion detector wins the medal. Yet =3D=3D=3D=3D no one "doe=
sn't" use them ----- right? What's the most popular way to detect glass bre=
akage today? ---- would it be the shock sensor or the audio glass break det=
ector? Everyone uses them --- Right? How often do they get tested? When you=
 do a service call do you go around and tap on every window with a shock se=
nsor? Do you get out the audio glass break tester and check each unit on th=
e installation? And who's to say if the little "squeak" that the tester put=
s out is really a true representation of a piece of glass breaking. Well, =
=3D=3D=3D we really don't know do we? We all hang our reputations on the fa=
ct that we are installing these audio glass break detectors and testing the=
m "in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations".  Did anyone here =
ever break a piece of glass in a window to see if the detector would really=
 trip? Will a shock sensor attached to a 7 foot piece of glass really be ab=
le to detect someone popping a hole in a door way down at the bottom?

It's all kind of a leap of faith that anything that we protect is going to =
stop an intrusion. How about a humongous magnet held up against a door or w=
indow switch. Did you ever walk in front of a PIR when the temperature was =
up around 90 degrees?=20

So you may have misgivings about the "new" technologies that are being pres=
ented now but------=20

Well, enough said.