Re: UTC’s Interlogix division to close down by end of 2019

Hi Jim,

Well, perhaps this counts on my experience history. I did use mercury tilt =
switches on my 67' Camaro when I was 16, to keep thieves from stealing my 1=
0" Micky Thompson slick tires. I used the mercury bulbs from converted part=
s from home thermostats, and if anyone tried to jack up any parts of the ca=
r to get to the tires or into the hood, it set off a seriously loud alarm w=
ith keyed external access. I just could not get the cellular backup to work=
 in the early 70s though.=20

The majority of false alarms indeed are from bugs nesting around motion det=
ectors or rodents finding their way to them, but I do not think that they w=
ill go away anytime soon even with the new systems down the pike. The secon=
d is from homeowners that cannot remember how to turn on the alarm when the=
y are home. The least used reason for motion false alarms, are from the loc=
ations of motions creating false alarms when the sun angle changes as the s=
easons come and go, and the installer did not, or could not foretell how th=
e sun angle might suddenly flood a room with so much sunlight/heat that the=
 detector is set off. And the last reason is from obscenely strong heat or =
A/C fans/ductwork that floods the room suddenly with air that is tens or mo=
re of degrees off from ambient temperature.

As to glassbreak detectors, yes, they are all individually tested with a gl=
ass break tester upon installation. And, whenever I get asked by the buyer =
if that will really work for testing purposes, I simply go out to my van an=
d get my 22 ounce framing hammer and come back in and say, "Okay, will this=
 do?" All of them have backed off so far. I am not making this up. Most of =
them, I just have to say that I will go get my  framing hammer, and then th=
ey laugh & say that the glass break tester will do fine.

For the defeating of door and window sensors there are high security double=
-balanced types, and using double end-of-line resistors can make things rat=
her arduous for novice thieves. We use those for high security areas such a=
s gun ranges & ammo stores, etc.

I understand what you are saying, but for real security, 'The new future eq=
uipment will make it much easier for the criminals to overcome all the newf=
angled wireless doors, windows, sensors, but most importantly, the brains/m=
ainboard and the communicators.

Any system that only relies on Wifi to get communications out thru the prem=
ise router, is doomed to fail once people figure out how to get around that=
. Cellular is better but still vulnerable. Telco lines are direct, but are =
also readily accessed and cut unless they are underground as some commercia=
l places are.

But the overall weakness to me, is the concentration of the 'brains' of a s=
ystem into one tiny geographical square foot of space or smaller. That is w=
here the weakness lies mostly. And I will not go into it online for everyon=
e to know either.

Superseding all this, is the main reason for all these changes happening in=
 the industry, and it is money only. It is the ability to get a system in f=
aster and cheaper for the companies that make them, and a quicker installat=
ion cost for the installing companies. The wholesale thrust of online sales=
 is the quickest way for 'the new security' companies to make more money fa=
ster.

It is not anymore about make security systems better and more foolproof. It=
 is more about duping foolish people that have no idea what a real security=
 system should be, and making sure that the sales are accomplished.

I do not consider that I have misgivings about the new technologies, but it=
 is rather that I know perhaps a bit more about the weaknesses inherent in =
the new technologies that I would like to know or admit, and would not want=
 to divulge  either.

I guess if I could sum it up, it would be this: Diversification is best, an=
d Concentration is worst... And the industry is not going in the right dire=
ction.

Hogan

So, did you play the YouTube video? I just love that one.

 =20