Re: reasonable monthly rate

On 11/13/2010 12:36 AM, Christopher Glaeser wrote:
>> Change it out before someone gets hurt
>
> Do they have a high rate of failure during fire or other emergency?
>
> Best,
> Christopher

They might, they might not - Is it worth it to find out too late?

This is a forum of alarm professionals.  Everyone has their own opinions
as to what brands are better than others.  Sometimes - and this appears
to be one of them - there is a bit of agreement on one particular model
being poor, despite the fact that there are other Radionics panels that
are tanks.

Once in a while, a company tries to make a "consumer friendly"
product... ie... inexpensive... ie cheaply built.  I don't know for sure
if that is the problem with this panel or not.

I came into this industry from the military about 10 yrs ago and, while
the company I worked for installed some Radionics (mainly the 7412 &
9412) and I had very few complaints.  I never installed a 2112 but other
guys I worked with, who had more experience, weren't fans of the 2112
or, in one case, the 6112.

You said you had a new Vista 20.  That (IMHO) is a solid panel,
relatively diy friendly and communicates in formats that will allow you
a wide range of alternatives when it comes to monitoring.

I use the First Alert re-brand of that model in my own home and (you can
ask some of the guys who were here 4 yrs ago) I don't take my family's
safety lightly.

Get a few alpha-keypads or LCD touch pads and you will be happy with all
the features you will have as well as how easy their are to operate.

Heck, I would change just for the exit delay restart and night-stay
zones - two features I use in my own home and find them very convenient.

Sticking with the old panel out of stubbornness just because there is
not one specific fault common to all 2112's that anyone can point to is
just that - stubborn.