Re: reasonable monthly rate

"Tom"  wrote in message
On Nov 10, 12:20 am, "Bill"  wrote:
> "Christopher Glaeser" wrote in message
> > What is a reasonable monthly rate for home security monitoring?
>
> $8.95 a month here...http://www.alarmrelay.com <

> Who services the system for the client? End users mucking around
> in programming is not only silly, but dangerous.

If some alarm companies will only service systems which are monitored
by their company, then this opens up a BIG opportunity for other alarm
companies to service ANY system and save these customers money as
well!

FYI - When I worked for a big name alarm company, we pretty much
charged *everyone* for service calls. Even customers with service
contracts. That is because most service calls to customers with
service contracts were not covered by the fine print in the service
contract.

For example a grocery store could not activate their alarm. I go out
and there is a box blocking an alarm light beam. I move the box and
the alarm can then be armed. That is not covered by the service
agreement.

A homeowner left a window open and could not activate the alarm which
was under warranty. I closed the window and charged them for the
service call - not covered under warranty.

Someone had a new door installed. Could not arm system. I installed a
new magnet in the new door and charged them - not covered.

Someone else had some construction work done and they cut an alarm
wire. I fixed it and charged them - not covered.

Typical service calls. The alarm will typically not work because
someone did something and that is not covered.

Pointless to get a maintenance agreement from a big name alarm company
if you ask me. Smaller alarm companies may be more forgiving and less
greedy.

That big name alarm company was once a small alarm company (was bought
out by the big name company). When we were a small company, we did not
charge customers with service agreements for any calls mostly. And if
under warranty and they were learning the system, no charge for
leaving a window open, etc. We were a "nice" company with happy
customers. And I had less stress working there.