Re: reasonable monthly rate

On Nov 10, 9:34=A0am, "Bill" <billnomailnosp...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Tom" =A0wrote in message
>
> On Nov 10, 12:20 am, "Bill" =A0wrote:
>
> > "Christopher Glaeser" wrote in message
> > > What is a reasonable monthly rate for home security monitoring?
>
> > $8.95 a month here...http://www.alarmrelay.com<
> > Who services the system for the client? End users mucking around
> > in programming is not only silly, but dangerous.
>
> If some alarm companies will only service systems which are monitored
> by their company, then this opens up a BIG opportunity for other alarm
> companies to service ANY system and save these customers money as
> well!
>
> FYI - When I worked for a big name alarm company, we pretty much
> charged *everyone* for service calls. Even customers with service
> contracts. That is because most service calls to customers with
> service contracts were not covered by the fine print in the service
> contract.
>
> For example a grocery store could not activate their alarm. I go out
> and there is a box blocking an alarm light beam. I move the box and
> the alarm can then be armed. That is not covered by the service
> agreement.
>
> A homeowner left a window open and could not activate the alarm which
> was under warranty. I closed the window and charged them for the
> service call - not covered under warranty.
>
> Someone had a new door installed. Could not arm system. I installed a
> new magnet in the new door and charged them - not covered.
>
> Someone else had some construction work done and they cut an alarm
> wire. I fixed it and charged them - not covered.
>
> Typical service calls. The alarm will typically not work because
> someone did something and that is not covered.
>
> Pointless to get a maintenance agreement from a big name alarm company
> if you ask me. Smaller alarm companies may be more forgiving and less
> greedy.
>
> That big name alarm company was once a small alarm company (was bought
> out by the big name company). When we were a small company, we did not
> charge customers with service agreements for any calls mostly. And if
> under warranty and they were learning the system, no charge for
> leaving a window open, etc. We were a "nice" company with happy
> customers. And I had less stress working there. <

We don't refer "big name" alarm companies and we don't suggest the end
user try to fiddle with his or her own system. It's just not safe.
$8.95 $9.95 $0.00 or $1,000,000.00 it doesn't matter the cost. What
matters is the company servicing that client.
I could resell monitoring to end users for less than 3 bucks a month
if I want and still make money BUT it is not safe. We are in the life
safety business so it should be our first, and main goal to provide a
safe and secure service.
Joe Smith fiddling with his alarm system and programming his own
system is not only a danger to Joe Smith but to any other account
online with that CS should Joe make an error in programming.
There has to come a point where we put a halt to this dangerous
practice of central stations selling directly to the customer.
There also has to be a point where installing companies stop charging
Rolls Royce rates for primitive systems installed decades ago.

Tom
http://www.onlinealarmquotes.com