Re: reasonable monthly rate

"Bill" <billnomailnospamx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>FYI - When I worked for a big name alarm company, we pretty much
>charged *everyone* for service calls. Even customers with service
>contracts. That is because most service calls to customers with
>service contracts were not covered by the fine print in the service
>contract.
>
>For example a grocery store could not activate their alarm. I go out
>and there is a box blocking an alarm light beam. I move the box and
>the alarm can then be armed. That is not covered by the service
>agreement.

I would not have charged for that.  I would take the time to explain the system
layout to the manager(s) and write the ticket up as training time.

>A homeowner left a window open and could not activate the alarm which
>was under warranty. I closed the window and charged them for the
>service call - not covered under warranty.

Same with this one.  Charging a homeowner for this you're just being kinda
dickish.  You can put whatever you want on the service ticket... chances are the
customer was never properly shown how to use the system in the first place.
Again, unless the Cx has a history of dumb shit, it's better to train and
no-charge for long-term customer satisfaction.

>Someone had a new door installed. Could not arm system. I installed a
>new magnet in the new door and charged them - not covered.

I may or may not have charged this one.  If they replaced the frame and were
nice enough to drill the proper size hole and bring the contact through, I'd do
a free mag if they were calling for more of an 'inspection'.  So, I would give
them a break if they were being proactive and wanted the alarmco's blessing that
the contact was ok.  If I have to actually 'work', like drill & dig a wire out
or something... yeah, then charge.

>Someone else had some construction work done and they cut an alarm
>wire. I fixed it and charged them - not covered.

Maybe charge.  If they took me right to the cut wire I'd probably do a freebie.

Point is, I've worked the big-name players too... but I used discretion and
common sense when it came to charging customers.  I never even read the "fine
print".  I'm not saying it's okay to blatantly violate policy, but every tech
has leeway when it comes to collecting on those service calls.