Re: reasonable monthly rate

On Nov 13, 8:59=A0am, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Nov 13, 12:36=A0am, "Christopher Glaeser" <c...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Change it out before someone gets hurt
>
> > Do they have a high rate of failure during fire or other emergency?
>
> > Best,
> > Christopher
>
> RHC: I've been following this thread with some interest but figured
> I'd better keep my mouth shut for fear of insulting people. But I've
> got to say, it absolutely amazes me that anyone would try to keep a 20
> plus year old panel of whatever make in service for any reason. With a
> wide variety of modern panels available for only a couple of hundred
> dollars at most, there is no reason that I can fathom why you've want
> to keep this clunker going. You wouldn't run your business on a 386;
> you wouldn't continue to watch a 20 year old, black and white, monster
> sized TV for your home entertainment; you wouldn't rely on a 20 year
> old car for transportation, but you want to rely on a 20 year old POS
> panel for your home security !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> The price of monitoring is quite another thing. In my area, $15 to $20
> a month is quite common with only the large firms quoting more. But
> regardless, do yourself a major favour and dump this POS old pane l!!
>
> Jeeezeeeee !!!!!

I disagree, if the panel was a good one when new it'll work fine for a
long time, we've got tons of old DSC 1550 and 2500 panels out there
with no problems.

My TV is about 20 years old, my previous car was a 1978 Honda Civic
that was working great with 250,000 miles until I traded it off for a
new Ford Ranger (which just turned over 200,000 miles). I've still got
an old Technics turntable from 1979 that I'll never part with and a CD
player from 1985.

The only reason I can see with dumping a good working panel is if it
can't do some of the new things like remote access or Internet
monitoring.