Re: Napco system questions

"Frank Olson" wrote:

> That's a great pity.  For a "faith" to restrict an individual to this extent
> is (at least for me) the point at which I would ask...  WHY?  I wouldn't
> make a very good Orthodox Jew.  :-)

If it makes them feel closer to God, that's fine with me.  Years ago I was
working on a system for a Jewish client on a Friday afternoon.  It was close
to sunset and the lady of the house invited me to stay for dinner.  After
dinner I remarked to her (I don't recall my precise words): "It must give you
great pride to carry on the traditions for another generation."

She replied, "Actually, it's a pain in the ass."  :^)

> That's well and good.  But knowledge is only one aspect.  Application is
> the other.  I'd prefer to leave Orthodox Jewish people to members of their
> own community (that actually UNDERSTAND their concerns).  I don't need to
> pursue them as clients.  I have much bigger fish to fry.

That's reasonable but I took another approach.  I considered it an interesting
challenge to devise ways to accomodate their needs using electronics.  In the
process I was fortunate enough to develop a good relationship with a somewhat
well-to-do segment of the community and that didn't hurt either.

>> I doubt you could do it with DSC modules but in answer to the "why bother"
>> question, it was done because that is what the clients needed.
>
> I don't need that kind of "client".

OK.

> Auto arming is a standard feature in most alarm systems (even the "cheapo"
> DSC stuff).  And what you were providing here is nothing less than what
> others in the industry do as well.

Not many can auto-arm on schedule *if* there has been no activity (motion) for
xx hours.

> You're talking about disarming and re-arming a system that only employed
> contact type devices (no motion or glass break detectors).  I'm not sure how
> you imagine an "out of the box" DSC system couldn't do this.

Some systems didn't include motions and glass breaks.  Others (most actually)
did.

>>> You'll need to program a lot of relays.  DSC's 1864 has four programmable
>>> outputs "on board".
>>
>> Try programming those relays to fire every Friday at 4:45 pm and release
>> every Saturday at 6:30 pm or some such time, if and only if the system is
>> disarmed. Try getting DSC to disarm, power down motions, re-arm while
>> auto-bypassing those motion detectors and then "undo" the same sequence at
>> the end of a 2- or 3-day holiday.  It just can't be done using DSC
>> hardware.
>
> It can't be done with Napco's panels "out of the box either".  You'll need
> additonal modules and relays.

It can't be done at all with DSC's modules.  They don't offer that level of
flexibility.

>> Some of our clients asked us to program our systems to do specific things
>> on the first Friday of a given month.  Others needed things done on the
>> *last* Wednesday, etc.  Try programming that with DSC.
>
> DBD (difficult but doable)...

DSC has no way to know that a given Wednesday is the last in a given month.
In fact, they don't have an option for the xx Friday either.

> Changing holiday dates is something you can download with most panels
> (including DSC's).  As for providing an equipment list...  I'd need you to
> post the client's exact requirements first.  I've forgotten most of what you
> had posted here a couple of years ago.  Also...  If you find that I can
> program a DSC system to operate EXACTLY the way your most finicky client
> required, then we're going to have to set a "reward". Mine will include a
> $100.00 donation to the United Way.  Yours...???

$100 to Moffitt Cancer Research Center.  Actually, how about we both do that
and call the whole thing a draw?

> DSC doesn't have "mid range stuff".  It's all "cheap".  :-)

Agreed.

> These days with the exchange rate being what it is, it's cheaper to buy DSC.

If McCain had won it would have been cheaper to buy a couple of US states.

>> I suspect that's mainly because you have more experience with Honeywell
>> (nee: Ademco) than with Napco.  As I said to Jim, a lot of "preference" is
>> what we've become accustomed to using.  I realize that applies to me as
>> well.
>
> It shows!!  :-)

I never disputed that.

--