Re: Napco system questions

On Jun 4, 10:04=EF=BF=BDpm, cha...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Long time customer moved into house containing Napco =EF=BF=BD8-zone Pane=
l,
> two GEM-RP1CAe2 Keypads, and all windows and doors contacted, several
> CO's, System Sensor SD's, motion detectors, and six or eight zone
> modules positioned adjacent to the panel mounted in the basement.
>
> Due to a lack of time to inspect the entire system on all floors, I do
> not have enough information to prepare a proposal to replace the
> operating =EF=BF=BDsystem with one which she is familiar, or to tell her =
> keep the existing system; hence the need for a few answers from you
> Napco installers.
>
> The Zone modules I assume are Napco's 8-zone units. =EF=BF=BDI have a cop=
y of
> the zone list, which lists 96 zones, a few of which are spares.
>
> Since the panel (forgot to get model number, but was installed within
> the last two years) is 8- zones, how are the zone modules configured?
> Does each contact, CO detector, Motion detector, get home-runned to
> the zone module adjacent to the panel, or do some installers mount the
> zone module close to the windows or doors, for example, and run one
> cable to the panel?
>
> Or can the output of an 8-zone module be fed to another 8- zone
> module, before it finally gets connected to the main panel?
>
> Do all the zone modules connect to a specific set of terminals in the
> panel, or are the outputs of the zone modules connected to one of the
> eight zones?
>
> Though she has been instructed by the company that installed the
> system, she still says the system is too complicated, and does not
> think the Keypad is user friendly. =EF=BF=BDHer previous home contained a
> Caddx/GE NX8E panel and 8-zone LED Keypad.
>
> She would like to switch to an NX8E system again, but I told her that
> she would need two LCD Keypads, but in terms of operation, all else
> would be pretty much familiar to her.
>
> If the devices on all levels of the house are home runned to the
> basement zone modules, then my work of converting to GE would be
> relatively easy. =EF=BF=BDIf there are some zone modules mounted on other
> levels of the house, with only the outputs homerunned to the basement,
> I will tell her to keep the system.
>
> Also, is there a way that I can determine if the system is connected
> to any home-automation devices? =EF=BF=BDI do not want to replace the zon=
> modules and panel, only to find later that one or more home-automation
> devices don't function.
>
> Thanks. =EF=BF=BDCharlie

Hi Chalie,

Much of what you are asking are things that would have been done as
decided upon by the installer but I'll give it a try.

The panel that you are talking about is probably the Napco Gemini
9600. That is .... if you are accurate in saying that there are close
to 96 zones used. The  basic 9600 is an 8 zone panel which can be
expanded with EZM 8's ... 8 zone expansion modules. The GEM-RP1CAe2
keypads also can be used as zone expanders. Four additional zones per
keypad. Exactly how they are wired is kind of hard to say but the
EZM's must be wired into the four wire keypad bus. Kepads and EZM's
can be wired in series or in parallel to the keypad bus and thus can
acutally be mounted anyplace in the building as long as the four wire
keypad bus is there. From that EZM-8, eight zones of the system can be
terminated there. Each EZM is given an address by the use and
placement of jumpers located under the cover of the EZM modules. All
the zone expansion devices must be addressed in sequence so by
interpreting the placement of the jumpers in each EZM module will
allow you to determine which module corresponds to which 8 zones in
the system. The zone expanders in the keypads are addressed at each of
the individual keypads. You can get installation instructions from
Napco's web site along with user manuals.

How the zones are wired would have been up to the installer. Most
desireable is a separate home run for each device, but hardly anyone
does that. Usually powered devices are wired per zone. Most of the
time installers will group windows in a particular room to one zone.
Maybe doors might be on seperate runs also. But it's up to the
installers, how it's done.