Re: Napco system questions

Robert L Bass wrote:

> Not many can auto-arm on schedule *if* there has been no activity
> (motion) for xx hours.

I don't think the Napco panels you used "back then" provided "if" and
"then" programming either.  I think you're referring to a Magic Module.

>> You're talking about disarming and re-arming a system that only
>> employed contact type devices (no motion or glass break detectors).
>> I'm not sure how you imagine an "out of the box" DSC system couldn't
>> do this.
>
> Some systems didn't include motions and glass breaks.  Others (most
> actually) did.

Once the power to glass breaks and motions is interrupted and the
contacts bypassed, any system that employs them will "degrade" to the
contacts you've provided.

> It can't be done at all with DSC's modules.  They don't offer that level
> of flexibility.

Ahhhh...  but you can wire relays to bypass lots of stuff.

>>> Some of our clients asked us to program our systems to do specific
>>> things on the first Friday of a given month.  Others needed things
>>> done on the *last* Wednesday, etc.  Try programming that with DSC.
>>
>> DBD (difficult but doable)...
>
> DSC has no way to know that a given Wednesday is the last in a given
> month. In fact, they don't have an option for the xx Friday either.

No...  But then Elk's Magic Module has often provided the means to do
so.  I'm not "up" on Napco that much, but I figure that the panels you
used back then couldn't have done this "out of the box" either.

> $100 to Moffitt Cancer Research Center.  Actually, how about we both do
> that and call the whole thing a draw?

OK by me.  I would still like to see if I can make this all work with
DSC's product as a base, though.  I've never backed down from a challenge!