Re: Napco system questions

Robert L Bass wrote:
> "Frank Olson" wrote:
>>
>> I wasn't referring to things like zoning options, Robert.  The
>> end-user rarely sees these and most wouldn't understand what they are...
>
> We partly agree.  He may not see them but he certainly benefits from
> them when they're used right.  Our job is to provide a system with the
> features that best meet the client's needs.

Exactly...  So far (thankfully) none of my clients have "special needs".

> He doesn't care about
> features -- just that the system "does what he wants".  For example,
> Napco has auto bypass and auto re-arm.  With these two (individually
> selectable) options you can make it very easy to arm the overhead door
> without leaving a lengthy delay for the family to exit.

Yep...  and in those instances where a client needs that, I've sold them
on the "escort".  Just dial the panel on any cell phone and you can turn
on lights, bypass zones, arm the interior...

> Napco has advanced scheduling options that DSC doesn't even touch.  I
> have clients who need to make certain that a house sitter or maid
> doesn't forget to arm the system when they leave.  Napco allows me to
> auto-arm after a certain time of day *if* there hasn't been any motion
> for xx hours.  That's not a "standard" feature but it can be done
> through a few programming tricks.

Then why mention it???  "Out of the box" features are the topic of this
discussion.  I could more than likely auto arm a DSC system following
those same parameters (and with appropriate "option" modules), but why
bother?  If a client is so concerned about whether-or-not the maid
remembers to arm the system when she leaves, why not provide them with
an Escort module which would allow them to call the system and perform
all the necessary functions.  In this instance, I don't think it would
be in the clients best interests to trust the system to "arm" itself
anyway.  Would you??

> Remember when I told you about the
> Orthodox Jewish homes I protected in CT? They needed a system that would
> not cause motion detector LEDs or relays to trip during holiday periods
> and weekly Shabos hours.  With Napco I can disarm the system, power down
> the motion and glass break detectors, re-arm the system without the
> interior detection and, in the morning, bypass the "Shabos door" for a
> specific time slot so the family can leave for the synagogue.  At the
> end of Shabos (sunset), I can disarm, power up tthe detectors and, if
> needed re-arm the system.  Try doing any of that with a DSC system.

Is that a challenge??  :-)  Napco can't do all those things "out of the
box".  You'll need to program a lot of relays.  DSC's 1864 has four
programmable outputs "on board".  If you add the supervised power supply
(something I think you'll need with the size of the systems you're
talking about), you'll get another four on top of that.  The 1864 has
event timers as well.  I don't think it would be all that difficult for
me to set up a DSC system with the same parameters as your Napco stuff.

>> Ademco's highest end system (the Vista 250) still doesn't have
>> telephone line monitoring...
>
> Napco offers it.

Yes... but Napco's significantly more expensive (and harder to keypad
program).

>> This has been a "standard feature" on DSC panels from the start (the
>> only exceptions being the early "1000" and the "1500").  All of their
>> panels had "chime", bell supervision, and "quick keys"...
>
> Napco too.  Also, most Napco systems are partitionable.  Any keypad can
> view and operate its "home" partition and/or every other partition,
> individually or en masse.

Ditto with DSC.  Up to eight partitions.

>> For the money (cheap), they had all the stuff the "big boys" offered
>> (and sometimes more)...
>
> Compared to Honeywell, true.  But DSC doesn't beat Napco for the price
> or the features.

I beg to differ.  Napco is significantly more expensive here (in Canada).

>> If you take a look at the zone options menu, you can program a number
>> of features now that you couldn't do before.  They remain one of the
>> easiest systems to keypad program which probably accounts for their
>> popularity.
>
> They are easy but that is mainly because they have far less options from
> which to select.

And I haven't needed extra options...  For those clients that do, I'd
prefer Ademco's products over Napco's.