Re: Napco system questions

On Jun 9, 6:10=A0am, "Robert L Bass" <Sa...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> "mleuck" wrote:
>
> > Well I've used both quite a bit and Frank is correct, DSC panels are mu=
ch
> > easier to program than Napco...
>
> Translation: DSC panels are simple and feature poor by comparison.

Alternate Translation: Napco panels are harder to keypad program than
they need to be

> > ...keypad programming which is something that 90% of installers do.
>
> Since I primarily sell to DIYers, that's not an issue for me.

Thats too bad since any installer worth his salt should know how to do
that, it's also why Frank stated they were easier to program than
Napco

> > And last I checked DSC didn't come with 2 different program manuals
> > depending on
>
> what keypad you have...
>
> Correct. =A0Napco makes manuals for each of their keypads. =A0The user ma=
nuals
> describe how to operate what the system has in place rather than one gene=
ric
> manual for all keypads like DSC.

I mentioned program manuals not user.

> > And in the time it takes for you to pull up Napco's software and connec=
t to
> > the panel I'm out of DSC programming...
>
> Radio Shack panels were quick to "program" too. =A0They also had almost n=
> features.

True but that has nothing to do with DSC

> > showing the customer how the system works. In a typical installation mo=
st of
> > the defaults work just fine. DSC's download software is far quicker and
> > easier to use than Napco's (who still haven't figured out how to make a
> > decent interface), I'm sure your "team" is at the ready to fix that.
>
> Actually, DSC's software is among the slowest on the market. =A0It's also=
> royal pain getting around the GUI, which was apparently designed by a tea=
m of
> monk... er, we won't go there. =A0Napco's first attempt at Windows compat=
ible
> software was awful. =A0In fact, we did discuss working on it with them. =
=A0They
> went there own way and, after a few tries, finally got it right.

Napco's software is slightly better than it was initially however that
isn't saying much, as far as being slow you obviously haven't compared
the two software packages.

or timed how long it takes to connect to a Napco panel initially
or how slow it is to upload or download a full panel
or the fact you have to either keep the phone off the hook or invest
in a stupid phone module
or the fact you can't download while the panel is armed
or how the interface doesn't seem to handle resizing a window very
well
or how they still haven't integrated past panels like the 2600 or
1010LKDL.

> > It sounds like you haven't played with DSC in a while...
>
> I've dealt with DSC for a number of years. =A0Their panels are simple to =
program
> because they don't have the features many better models have. =A0Feel fre=
e to
> claim whatever makes you feel good regarding my experience. =A0We both kn=
ow the
> truth, though you'll never admit it.

Um yea it sounds like you really know a lot