Re: Napco system questions

On Jun 6, 6:03=A0pm, "Robert L Bass" <Sa...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> "Frank Olson" wrote:
>
> > Actually DSC remains one of the most feature rich alarm panels out ther=
> > when you compare similarly priced panels from other manufacturers. =A0I=
t's a
> > heck of a lot easier to program than Napco.
>
> I kind of agree, but not entirely. =A0I suspect it's mostly "easier" beca=
use you
> use it more often than Napco. =A0I've programmed so many Napco systems th=
at I
> can (and often do) walk a customer through programming a system without e=
ven
> opening the program on my PC.

Well I've used both quite a bit and Frank is correct, DSC panels are
much easier to program than Napco....or Honeywel, or Moose, or FBII l
for that matter. Napco obviously recognizes this if you look at the
changes they made over the last few years concerning keypad
programming which is something that 90% of installers do. And last I
checked DSC didn't come with 2 different program manuals depending on
what keypad you have

> OTOH, the few DSC systems I ever programmed were so simple (there were le=
ss
> options) that they could easily be configured from the keypad. =A0Even af=
ter
> many years working with Napco, I never program them from the keypad.

And in the time it takes for you to pull up Napco's software and
connect to the panel I'm out of DSC programming showing the customer
how the system works. In a typical installation most of the defaults
work just fine. DSC's download software is far quicker and easier to
use than Napco's (who still haven't figured out how to make a decent
interface), I'm sure your "team" is at the ready to fix that.

> As to feature-richness, Napco has (I forget) 61 or 62 individually select=
able
> per-zone options. =A0That's 2^^62 possible ways to configure each individ=
ual
> zone. =A0There are hundreds of options, selectable and adjustable feature=
s,
> timers and so forth for the system as a whole. =A0I don't believe DSC's
> residential panels even come close.

It sounds like you haven't played with DSC in a while. It helps to
play with the stuff instead of just listing it on the website