Re: Napco system questions

"mleuck" wrote:

> Alternate Translation: Napco panels are harder to keypad program than they
> need to be

Accurate translation:  Napco panels are more powerful and feature rich than
the stuff you like.

>> Since I primarily sell to DIYers, that's not an issue for me.

> Thats too bad since any installer worth his salt should know how to do
> that...

I make no claims about the worth of any other installer.  If you find it
difficult to program Napco that is of no concern to me.  All I care is that
their systems are so much better quality than DSC and that my clients are able
to program them without years of experience.

> it's also why Frank stated they were easier to program than Napco

That says nothing regarding value received by the client -- only that DSC is
simple to program.

> I mentioned program manuals not user.

Sorry, I didn't realize that was your intent.  The answer, however, remains
the same.  Napco manuals are specific to the products being used -- not
generic like DSC.

>>> And in the time it takes for you to pull up Napco's software and connect
>>> to the panel I'm out of DSC programming...
>>
>> Radio Shack panels were quick to "program" too. They also had almost no
>> features.

> True but that has nothing to do with DSC

It is the logical extension of your argument that simpler (that is feature
poor) is somehow better.

> Napco's software is slightly better than it was initially however that isn't
> saying much, as far as being slow you obviously haven't compared the two
> software packages.

You're wrong on both counts.  Napco's current software is significantly better
than their first Windows app, which was plain awful.  The new app is easy to
navigate, doesn't lock up unless you really screw things up and has far better
helps.  It's still not perfect but that's only because my company didn't write
it.  :^)

As to comparing, you're wrong again.  I have and DSC's app is miserably slow.
There are other little bugs in DSC, such as CS comms failures if you leave the
pigtail plugged into the PC.

> or timed how long it takes to connect to a Napco panel initially...

My clients invariably use local connect.  It takes less than 10 seconds to
connect and download.  Even in local connect DSC takes a long time.

> or how slow it is to upload or download a full panel...

A few seconds, even on a P9600.  Try that on the larger DSC.

> or the fact you have to either keep the phone off the hook or invest in a
> stupid phone module...

Oh, no.  Keep the phone off the hook.  How difficult!  :^)  Of course, that's
only if you're accessing the panel remotely.  Any decent alarm company
supplies its techs with laptops to expedite field service.  We did.

> or the fact you can't download while the panel is armed...

You can indeed.  Napco allows you to fully control the panel via the software.
If it's armed, disarm it and then do the work.  Don't forget to re-arm the
system when you're done.

> or how the interface doesn't seem to handle resizing a window very well

You must not have tried it recently.  It works fine.  However, all of the
pop-up windows are already properly sized.  Whenever I use the software (more
than once a day usually), I run the app in full screen.

> or how they still haven't integrated past panels like the 2600 or 1010LKDL.

They don't support antique stuff any more.

>>> It sounds like you haven't played with DSC in a while...
>
>> I've dealt with DSC for a number of years. Their panels are simple to
>> program because they don't have the features many better models have. Feel
>> free to claim whatever makes you feel good regarding my experience. We both
>> know the truth, though you'll never admit it.

> Um yea it sounds like you really know a lot

If it makes you feel better to believe you know more than me, feel free to
continue.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass