Re: Brinks Home Security Fraud

"tourman" wrote:

> RHC: Lemme see now....she's about 20 houses down from my place so I
> walked over to her home....she's been my customer from 14 years paying
> me every month.....she's a dear old lady, and not very able to
> understand her alarm, and I have all her friends and relatives as
> customers..... and it took me about 2 minutes to fix the problem.
>
> You're damn right I didn't charge her ! If you would have, that would
> make you part of the "problem" not part of the "solution"....
>
> And no, I don't charge people for service calls relating to any sort
> of trouble on their system. What little I "lose" up front, I gain
> through multiple referrals and good will.....

Bob,

We usually charged for service calls after the initial warranty expired.  In
the early years I gave a 5-year warranty to gain a competitive edge on bids.
Later we changed it to a 2-year period.  That policy got us lots of referrals
though I'm sure your approach works just fine.

There were certain exceptions.  During the recession if a client was out of
work I would void the monitoring fee for up to one year.  Service visits were
free as well.  When it was over almost every client who hadn't moved away
stayed on with us.  Most offered to pay the prior year's fee once they were
working again.  We also got tons of referrals, especially of people who had
been dropped by their alarm companies when they couldn't pay.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics