Re: Non mains system

Just Looking wrote:
>> You've tried to twist everything to your own purpose and still failed >to
> give any real opinion about anything that is relevant to the >original  post
>

> Since I don't live in your country I can only tell you how I would approach
> the problem if it were here.
> If I needed to control the access to the "containers" [dimensions unknown]
> and to be alerted (in a situation where I didn't need to call the
> authorities directly) I'd use www.brivo.com. Specifically the ACS5000E/W
> http://www.brivo.com/docs/en/ENG-DOC-003-ACS5000-Install.pdf  I have used
> that in many swimming pool applications where there is no phone, Internet or
> power, but monitored access is necessary. The earlier 3000 and 4000 series
> had their share of problems but the 5000 series panels have overcome most of
> those now. I have used Brivo for many years and they are a good reliable
> service provider. If you don't trust a Solar panel setup for powering the
> system, a number of marine deep cycle batteries for rotating in an out of
> service can work for a while until regular electrical service is available.
>
> If it were just an alarm type service I was seeking, with control for remote
> arming and disarming, as well as separate email or text notifications, I'd
> use a GE Security Panel (like Networx)
> http://www.gesecurity.com/portal/site/GESecurity/menuitem.f76d98ccce4cabed5efa421766030730?selectedID=12868&seriesyn=true
> and attach an interface like this
> http://www.gesecurity.com/portal/site/GESecurity/menuitem.f76d98ccce4cabed5efa421766030730?selectedID=127256&seriesyn=true
> or to a service like www.alarm.com and use one like this
> http://www.gesecurity.com/portal/site/GESecurity/menuitem.f76d98ccce4cabed5efa421766030730?selectedID=17162&seriesyn=true
> (although it is not the skytel unit but a different GSM model used now). The
> GE website sucks at being able to find what you want quickly. You can see a
> detailed view at http://www.alarm.com/builder/builder_prog.asp I have only
> used alarm.com for a limited time but they seem responsive and professional.
>
> If there is a wireless mesh network available for you to hop on for a
> reasonable price that could be another monitoring option for IP alarm
> communications. You can learn more about that type service here
> http://www.fluidmesh.com/
>
> I don't know if any of these services even exist in your country, or if
> there is an analog competitive service available. As far as a DIY solution
> for a newbie in a foreign country looking for cheap answers in a forum for
> alarm professionals, well I couldn't possibly "troll" or even twist my way
> through that.

I thank you for the time you put in to try to educate me. It has
certainly added to my knowledge database. It looks like there might be a
territory thing going on because these companies have sales teams in
Europe including Ireland but not the UK. It gives me something to look
for though.
I'm not necessarily looking for d.i.y or cheap. With the probability of
mains electricity in the not too distant future, I just didn't want to
waste money. There must be solutions that I can use now and add to in
the future but I'm obviously going to have to be more specific in where
I ask my questions.
Of course my country isn't foreign, everywhere else is. I came across
this group after a Google search. I didn't realise it was "owned" by
Americans and there's nothing in the title to suggest it's for
professionals only. I thought it was just a usenet group where I might
find some answers. As usual, (for usenet), I've met some helpful people
and I've met some of the other kind. Cest La Vie.
Thanks again.