Re: Non mains system

Paul O'Grady wrote:
> Frank Olson wrote:
>> Paul O'Grady wrote:
>>> Hi guys.
>>>
>>> Newbie here. I need to protect 3 containers in a field. They will be
>>> fenced in eventually. Will have mains on eventually but even the
>>> meter box needs planning permission so nothing happening soon on that
>>> front.
>>> I've had two visits already. I live miles away and I need to use
>>> these containers asap. Any ideas anyone?
>>>
>>> In language I can understand please.
>>>
>>> Thanks.  Paul
>>

>> A cellular communicator coupled to a standard off-the-shelf alarm
>> panel would more than suit your needs.  You'll need contacts for the
>> container doors (wide gap type used in overhead doors would work).  If
>> you're filling the containers with goods, I doubt a motion sensor
>> would work all that well unless it was a ceiling mounted unit.  If the
>> containers are unheated, I would suggest you refrain from using motion
>> sensors. You can power your alarm panel with a car battery for several
>> days (and it would be easy to recharge from your own vehicle).
>> Connect it to the AC inputs (polarity doesn't matter) and use a
>> standard gel cell battery hooked up to the panel's battery leads.
>> This should work for you without the need for solar cells or expensive
>> long-range radio gear.
>>
>> Good luck!
>
> This is more like it. Thank you Frank.
>
> I will be out of range of radio gear so a cell phone connection is a
> must. Your comment about motion sensors and heat is an interesting one
> that I haven't heard before. I've already got a quote to install mains
> but the 2ftx2ft brick box they want to put the meter in requires ANOTHER
>  planning application which can and usually does take up to 8 weeks.
> Once the mains are in I will be doing it properly but meantime I need a
> cheapish foolproof thing that will work. Door sensors and a siren will
> do it because I intend to put another welded gate inside which will give
> the time needed for someone to get there. I had envisaged using motion
> detectors because if they turn up with oxy-acetylene, bang goes the time
> buffer.
>
> Can you give me specifics? What I need and where to get them?
>
> FYI I'm building an activity day center based on archery. I can't turn
> up on the day with 50 people and find no equipment. It just doesn't bear
> thinking about.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Paul

I can give you part numbers but that wouldn't mean much since your in GB
and I'm in Canada.  I'd contact a company more "local" to you to get the
scoop.  You can try contacting:

http://www.yoursecuritysource.com/englanddealers.htm

Most of the panels out there operate with 12VDC devices.  I'd suggest
adding a radio receiver to the mix and use a button keyfob to arm and
disarm the system (keep the doors on an "instant zone").  Most panels
can be set up to "blip" the siren when you arm/disarm (similar to what
you get with a car alarm).  Unless the units are heated, I would advise
against using traditional PIR (Passive Infra-Red) type motion sensors
and I don't think you'll have much success with micro-wave based units
in a steel container.  Don't put up any signage and I'd venture to say
that most of your break-in attempts will be made through the doors.  The
siren may scare them away, but most will just ignore it (or find the
source and disable it).  The fact that the system is notifying you
remotely will be a big plus as most won't expect that.

My younger son is into Kyudo (traditional Japanese archery).