Re: Non mains system

Frank Olson wrote:
> Paul O'Grady wrote:
>> Hi guys.
>>
>> Newbie here. I need to protect 3 containers in a field. They will be
>> fenced in eventually. Will have mains on eventually but even the meter
>> box needs planning permission so nothing happening soon on that front.
>> I've had two visits already. I live miles away and I need to use these
>> containers asap. Any ideas anyone?
>>
>> In language I can understand please.
>>
>> Thanks.  Paul
>

> A cellular communicator coupled to a standard off-the-shelf alarm panel
> would more than suit your needs.  You'll need contacts for the container
> doors (wide gap type used in overhead doors would work).  If you're
> filling the containers with goods, I doubt a motion sensor would work
> all that well unless it was a ceiling mounted unit.  If the containers
> are unheated, I would suggest you refrain from using motion sensors. You
> can power your alarm panel with a car battery for several days (and it
> would be easy to recharge from your own vehicle).  Connect it to the AC
> inputs (polarity doesn't matter) and use a standard gel cell battery
> hooked up to the panel's battery leads.  This should work for you
> without the need for solar cells or expensive long-range radio gear.
>
> Good luck!

This is more like it. Thank you Frank.

I will be out of range of radio gear so a cell phone connection is a
must. Your comment about motion sensors and heat is an interesting one
that I haven't heard before. I've already got a quote to install mains
but the 2ftx2ft brick box they want to put the meter in requires ANOTHER

  planning application which can and usually does take up to 8 weeks.
Once the mains are in I will be doing it properly but meantime I need a
cheapish foolproof thing that will work. Door sensors and a siren will
do it because I intend to put another welded gate inside which will give
the time needed for someone to get there. I had envisaged using motion
detectors because if they turn up with oxy-acetylene, bang goes the time
buffer.

Can you give me specifics? What I need and where to get them?

FYI I'm building an activity day center based on archery. I can't turn
up on the day with 50 people and find no equipment. It just doesn't bear
thinking about.

Thanks again.

Paul