Re: Church told to hang own fire panel

"Robert L Bass" <no-sales-spam@bassburglaralarms> wrote in
news:ud-dnclMafr5JMnbnZ2dnUVZ_jSdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx:

> "Tommy" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Until you've been involved in church work you
>>> wouldn't understand.  By the way, by "on staff"
>>> I did not mean to imply "on salary."  In our case
>>> these were volunteer staff.  We had over 100
>>> people working at any given time but only a few
>>> were paid employees.  This is quite common
>>> among growing, modern churches.
>>>

>> I have been involced with church work. i was on
>> the building comittee for my church. We wisely
>> involved a professional architect to design it rather
>> than use someone from inside the church...
>
> That is totally different from alarm work.  Architecture
> is a profession.  Alarm installing is a trade and a
> relatively simple one at that.
>
>> we ended up with a better building than we would
>> have had otherwise...
>
> Without an architect to design it you probably
> wouldn't have built anything at all.  However, there
> are architectural firms that offer standardized church
> plans for people who don't want to pay for a custom
> design.
>
>> And there were plenty of capable people in the
>> church to call on. we just felt that to get the best
>> job done we should go with a professional that
>> dealt with our type job on a regular basis.
>
> The same would apply if you needed cancer surgery.
> You would hire a doctor -- not do it yourself.  OTOH,
> if all you had was a splinter you'd DIY it like everyone
> else does.
>
> Alarm installation is to architecture as splinter
> removal is to surgery.

I don't agree. You are entitled to your opinion as i am mine. Proper
design and implementation of a security system is a profession.

any one could buy a simple home planning software from walmart and print
off a set of house plans. It's not rocket sience. :) they might even be
happy with the way it looks when it's done. But was it done to code? will
the AHJ sign off on a coo?

There is always a need for the professionals, and there will always be
those who want to DIY.Sometimes it is better to let the pro's do what
they do. Especially when you are talking about a life safety system. I
would not want to take that liability on from a DIY standpoint. I belive
that there are people with the necessary skills to put in an alarm
system, but not everyone has them, not even with a couple of hours of
phone support.:)