Re: Church told to hang own fire panel

> A church that "had on staff several licensed
> electricians, a licensed low voltage contractor
> and several engineers" that couldn't afford to
> have a system professionally installed?

In the case of our church cost was not the
issue.  I donated the alarm system.  The point
is that many such institutions have plenty of
technically knowledgeable people who can
do for the church that for which a private
company might charge three or four times the
cost of the materials.  This isn't meant to
fault alarm dealers.  They need to make a
profit from their labors.  However, they don't
have a *right* to insist that no one but they
do alarm work.

> That's hard to swallow. a church big enough
> to have that kind of people "on staff" wouldn't
> blink at the cost of a life safety system. at
> least they shouldn't.

Until you've been involved in church work you
wouldn't understand.  By the way, by "on staff"
I did not mean to imply "on salary."  In our case
these were volunteer staff.  We had over 100
people working at any given time but only a few
were paid employees.  This is quite common
among growing, modern churches.

This isn't the main point though.  The real issue
is whether anyone except a paid alarm installer
can or should install an alarm system.  For
several decades I've proven that laymen can
successfully install their own security and fire
alarm systems.  This includes commercial as
well as residential systems.  You guys can
argue and nitpick all you like but it won't
change the fact that DIY is a valid and growing
portion of the electronic security business.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics