Re: Paradox Esprit fails to activate alarm siren in 3 Zones

What you experienced is quite normal. Virtually no installer or alarmco
leaves the installer code at default.

With Paradox panels there is no danger in trying the factory default
routine. If the board is "locked" in software, nothing will happen -
nothing, and it will be impossible for you to ever do anything with the
board other than make a coaster out of it. However, KNOW THIS, if it is
not locked, the whole panel will go back to factory and must be totally
reprogrammed.  So before you try the following, keep that in mind.

To default, power down totally. Put the jumper on the "reset" pins,
then power up with AC. In spite of what the instructions say, leave it
on for 30 seconds. Then remove the jumper and if all the zone lights
come on, then you have defaulted. Then enter programming mode with
"enter" plus the default installer code. At this point,your panel has
lost virtually all it's custom programming, and will need a lot of
additional software reprogramming. You will also need to reset the
clock to clear the trouble 8.

Why the manufacturers don't make this stuff widely available, is
because these panels are not geared toward the DIY'er. When you work
with these panels for a few years, you quickly realize that there are
all sorts of tricks that are not in the book so to speak, and only are
discovered when you work with a line of panels for awhile. And with the
seriousness of false alarms and the waste of time for the authorities
when that happens, self programming by end users is not highly
regarded. This is not to say they can't; its just that most consumers
dont have the time or inclination to fool with their security system.
And most realize that unless it is monitored properly, it is pretty
much ineffective anyway. And since alarmco's make money from
monitoring, they look after everything for the consumer, including
programming (in the same way that an insurance agent makes a commission
from selling insurance) Security services are just that, and the
equipment is only a part of the whole package.But then, on the consumer
side, it's up to them how they want to handle things....

Good luck !!

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products
www.homemetal.com