Re: the police was dispatched to ... the wrong house

> Hardly, daily tests do nothing but show the
> account sent in a test signal once a day, it
> would do nothing in this instance, the original
> poster mentioned they did not show the
> Caller ID on his signal, there is no mention
> they did not handle Caller ID in general

I'll try to explain this in terms you can understand.
If *all* systems were set for daily test and if the
CS bothered to compare Caller ID data from
incoming signals with the telephone number on
file for the panel, the first time the errant system
was powered up it would have sent a signal with
the OP's account number and the errant system's
Caller ID.  This should have resulted in calls to
(1) the location that is supposed to have that
account number and; (2) the telephone number
from which the errant signal originated.

The CS (if they cared enough to verify these
things) would have notified the OP's installer
AND the location that was incorrectly programmed.
This would have happened the moment the first
daily test came in -- not when the false alarm
came in.

> BTW I don't recall the OP saying his system
> wasn't set for daily tests...

>> Oh, while we're on the subject, does
>> Monitronics do daily tests on all
>> residential systems and open/close on
>> all commercial ones?
>
> If the dealer sets it up as such yes...

So the answer is no.  OK, that removes all
doubt as to their ineptitude.  Thanks for
the clarification.

> how about your garage central station?
> Did you have Caller ID?

I never had a CS in my garage.  That was where I
kept inventory for installations.  As I already said,
we did Caller ID monitoring plus daily tests on all
residential installations.  All commercial accounts
were programmed for open & close reporting.  These
were part of our basic service.

>>> 1. It is up the the installation company to set
>>> up daily test signals not the central station...
>>
>> That depends on the central station.  You work
>> for Monitronics and apparently spend your days
>> programming alarms for them.  Do you configure
>> all those systems for daily test?  If not, what is
>> your excuse?
>
> I do not spend my days programming...

Bullshit!

>>> 2. The responsibility of the central station is
>>> to dispatch on a signal on one of their accounts...
>>
>> A *responsible* central station would care enough
>> to make sure all accounts are properly programmed.
>
> No, a responsible central station monitors installations
> by alarm companies, it is up to them to make sure the
> accounts are properly programmed...

So that's your excuse?  Everything is the fault of the
alarm companies.  Not offering needed services as a
standard feature saves your employer a few dollars a
month so it's OK if things like the OP's disaster go on
unchecked.

>> One very effective way to minimize the chances of
>> a situation like this arising is to offer daily test and
>> Caller ID monitoring as part of one's basic services.
>
> No, daily tests and Caller ID do nothing to show
> a panel is properly programmed..

The fact that you don't understand it doesn't make it
not so.

>> Not doing this as a matter of routine practice is
>> indicative of a rather cavalier attitude about the
>> security of one's clients.  This of course brings us
>> back to the previous question.  Does your employer
>> offer daily test and Caller ID (or ANA) monitoring
>> at no additional charge to encourage installing
>> dealers to make use of the features?  If not, what
>> is your excuse?
>
> I have no idea what they charge dealers for
> monitoring, I'm pretty sure they do but why
> don't you call and ask?

Bullshit!  With all the programming you've previously
claimed to do, you certainly know that Monitronics
doesn't offer daily test as part of their basic service.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics