Re: Andersen 400 Series Security contacts

>I don't put door switches at the tops of
> the doors anymore if I can help it.
>
> For one thing they're harder to install
> & repair up high, but more because
> wooden doors warp in the sun out
> here which cause problems with
> magnet alignment.
>
> I try to put them down on the opening
> side of the door either a 12 in. above
> or below the door lock/latch.

When doing prewires I found it to be about
the same wiring to the top or the side of a
door.  On retrofits I almost always put
the sensor on the side below the knob.  We
never had the kind of problems you describe.
New England isn't exactly known for it's
intense heat.

I've also used the threshold in a few rare
instances where a top loaded sensor wouldn't
work.  Sometimes we'd retrofit a home with
French doors with side and transom lights.
There's no place to run a wire except straight
down through the threshold.  We would mark
the floor near the threshold and then mark
and remove the primary door (the one that
must open first).  If there was an aluminum
insulation strip we would remove it and install
a wide-gap contact beneath it. If the threshold
is wood take it off and do the same. Otherwise
we'd recess a 1/4" contact directly in the wood
and install two heavy magnets in the bottom
of the door.  A touch of tinted "Plastic Wood"
hides the sensor.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass