Re: cellular home security system questions

"kyle" <cartesiankyle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> maybe i overstated the issue of her being worried.  it probably is just
> new home jitters.  the neighborhood is definitely not crime-ridden by
> any means.  and i threw the rape/killed part in (hence overstatement)
> .. she is 21 and just lonely/nervous in a big house by herself.  a
> guard dog might give her more of a peace of mind than anything at this
> point.
>
> can you explain in more detail each of these services ?

A security design/sales/technical- Properly design a system to your home
(floor plan), interior (drapries, wall coverings (mirrored for instance)
furniture (heavy, contempory, etc.) flooring (tile, carpet, hardwood floors)
fireplaces, windows (type), doors (wood, steel, wood and steel, door jambs
(wood, steel), attic accesses, telephone demark, power circuit (cannot be on
appliance circuit) stairwells, AC/heating vents, crystal chandeliers
(reflective items), pets, safes, gun cabinets, collectors items, valuables,
utility room, gas or electric utilities, attached/detacted garage, large
attic fans in gables, crawl spaces, and that is off the top of my head.

Electrician- Exterior lighting

Locksmith- Re-key a new home, add dead bolts, add locks to interior doors
(closets, gun cabinet, safe area, areas where valuable are kept), gate
locks, outside building locks (sheds), sliding glass door pins, in Florida
(because your front door swings outward and the hinge pins are exposed to
the outside) hinge pins are recommended.

Landscaper- one of the best defenses is to eliminate any folage that can be
used as a hiding place and replace it with low growing folage that is
pleasing to the eye but a pain to get through, thorny, etc as a deterent to
keep away from the perimeter of the propery or house.

Building contractor- those windows you were talking about and if you
wanted/needed to go to the next step, a safe room. Good for home invasion,
storms (hurricanes), keeping those valuables, etc.

Without seeing the property, who knows what else. Where are you at in
Florida? I am in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

> [...]
thing
> > she needs is to have that ear piercing siren go off in the middle of the
> > night due to cheap and/or improperly installed equipment. There is alot
> > consider when you start looking into, not only property protection, but
> > personal protection. Yes, the dollar figure goes up and it is not a case
of
> > merely adding electronics. There is a whole design thing for the
interior,
> > as well as the exterior, of  your home. On the high side, it could
involve a
> > electronic home security design/sales/technical person, an electrician,
> > locksmith, a landscape person (believe it or not), and if you and/or
your
> > wife "really" have some concerns, that have not come out yet, a building
> > contractor. As far as the shatterproof windows (impact glass), they are
> > about triple the cost of a regular window, plus if you are thinking
about
> > changing windows, Florida is now under a state wide uniform building
code.
> > This means that, regardless of where you are located, you will need to
come
> > up to the hurricane codes when doing any type of major renovation. They
are
> > good, will deter the smash and grab, and give you protection during the
> > storm season.
> >
> > One thing to remember with security systems. They do not "protect"
anything.
> > They can only "detect", "communicate" and hopefully "deter". Before you
> > spend any money, I would suggest you get a good understanding of your
wife's
> > comfort level. By the sounds of it, she has some deep concerns. When I
hear
> > the words "rape and kill", I know the client is not necessarily
concerned
> > about that bracelet they received for their birthday. The game changes.
> > Don't tailor a price to this until you know where you are going. That
might
> > bite you worse than that guard dog. :o]
> >
> > "kyle" <cartesiankyle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > > I told my wife it would be able $1k.  After the cellular equipment and
> > > such, I'll be pushing $1.5K.  She still hasn't bit as far as believing
> > > a home security system is really going to provide any sort of
immediate
> > > safety to her when I'm 2000 miles away working during the week.  Her
> > > complaint is that so what if the alarms go off.  By the time the
police
> > > arrive the burglar will have either raped,killed her and taken
whatever
> > > they needed.  I told her we can install a deafening siren to alert
> > > neighbors and such but she said is that going to keep her alive?
> > >
> > > Are the prices reasonable or could be cheaper via a package deal?

THat

> > worth.

Motion